Homer-Center graduate Angel Piccirillo competed for Villanova in the indoor track and field Big East Finals this past weekend.
Piccirillo took second in the 1000m, coming in hundredths of a second behind the amazing Nova junior, Emily Lipari.
1 Emily Lipari JR VILLANOVA 2:46.19S 10
2 Angel Piccirillo FR VILLANOVA 2:46.33S 8
3 Rachel Schneider SR GEORGETOWN 2:46.86S 6
In the distant medley relay, Nova came in with a close second. Piccirillo ran a strong 800m leg. A couple of weak handoffs probably took the team far enough back to miss that coveted first place.
1 CONNECTICUT 11:06.99M 10
1) Brigitte Mania SR 2) Celina Emerson JR
3) Ana Groff SR 4) Lindsay Crevoiserat SO
2 VILLANOVA 11:07.04M 8
1) Stephanie Schappert SO 2) Qualitra Brown SO
3) Angel Piccirillo FR 4) Nicky Akande JR
3 NOTRE DAME 11:07.32M 6
1) Kelly Curran JR 2) Amber Lalla SO
3) Rebecca Tracy SR 4) Alexa Aragon JR
In the 4 x 8 relay, Nova ran four strong legs. Piccirillo ran the second leg and stayed ahead of the pack to make a very smooth handoff. In the fourth leg, Emily Lipari was sliding between second and third place. Coming into the last turn of the race, she was in second and looked like she might get beat to the line. Somewhere, somehow, in the last thirty yards she found the “amazing” gear and pulled ahead for the Nova win.
1 VILLANOVA 8:40.50S 10
1) Stephanie Schappert SO 2) Angel Piccirillo FR
3) Nicky Akande JR 4) Emily Lipari JR
2 NOTRE DAME 8:40.59S 8
1) Kelly Curran JR 2) McKinzie Schulz JR
3) Danielle Aragon FR 4) Rebecca Tracy SR
3 GEORGETOWN 8:41.36S 6
1) Rachel Paul FR 2) Shanique Dasilva JR
3) Rachel Schneider SR 4) Andrea Keklak SO